Bojie Li (李博杰) is a third-year graduate student at University of Science and Technology of China in a joint research program with Microsoft Research Asia, advised by Dr. Kun Tan.
My research is a confluence of two disciplines: reconfigurable hardware and networked systems. We live in an exciting time for reconfigurable computing research given the explosion of reconfigurable hardware (FPGA) deployed in data centers and the emerging cloud workload that calls for both performance and flexibility.
The Moore’s law of general-purpose processors has slowed down, while the scale of machine learning and web services is growing fast. People build specialized hardware to accelerate common tasks, while the rapidly changing industry also requires flexibility that the hardware can be reprogrammed for new workloads. FPGAs were long considered low-volume ASIC replacements, while in recent years are deployed at scale in data centers to provide both massive capacity and enormous flexibility.
We engage in exploring answers to two fundamental questions:
- What role should reconfigurable hardware play in cloud-scale networked systems? It should be more than an accelerator like GPU.
- How to program a heterogeneous system with reconfigurable hardware and general-purpose processors in an efficient and scalable way? Programming FPGA has been challenging for years.
Our first answer is ClickNP, published in SIGCOMM 2016. ClickNP is a FPGA-accelerated platform for highly flexible and high-performance network functions with commodity servers. ClickNP is highly flexible as it is completely programmable using C-like language, and exposes a modular programming abstraction that resembles Click Modular Router. ClickNP is also high performance. Compared to existing software counterparts, with FPGA, ClickNP improves throughput by 10x, while reducing latency by 10x.
Before joining MSRA for Ph.D. study, I received B.S. in USTC. I was the president of Linux User Group (LUG) at USTC, where I learned Linux server and network operations, and built campus network services (WordPress blog hosting, Freeshell OpenVZ cloud, VPN and GitLab).
My CV (last updated: 2017-01-05)
base64 -d <<< "Ym9qaWVsaUBnbWFpbC5jb20K"
- USTC LUG 邮件列表：http://lug.ustc.edu.cn/wiki/lug/mailinglist
- 微信 (wechat)：bojustc
What is Ring0
Ring0 is the most privileged protection level in CPU architectures, in which code interacts directly with physical hardware. The concept of protection ring dates back to MULTICS in 1960s. In x86 architecture, ring0 is an acronym for OS kernel and kernel mode drivers, as opposed to user mode applications in (typically) ring 3.
My blog use this domain name
ring0.me to demonstrate my interest in fundamental research and technologies that build up computer systems and networks.
- 2014 – 2019 (expected), Joint Ph.D. program with Microsoft Research Asia and University of Science and Technology of China
- 2013.07 – 2014.09, Research Intern, Wireless & Networking Group, Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing
- 2010 – 2014, Undergraduate, School of Gifted Young (major in Computer Science), University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui
- 2007 – 2010, No.2 High School, Shijiazhuang, Hebei
- 2004 – 2007, No.2 Middle School, Shijiazhuang, Hebei
- 1999 – 2004, Zhongshan Primary School, Shijiazhuang, Hebei
- 2015.07 – now Research Intern, Wireless and Networking group, MSRA
- 2014.07 – 2014.09 Research Intern, Wireless and Networking group, MSRA
- 2013.07 – 2014.05 Research Intern, Wireless and Networking group, MSRA
- 2015.09 – 2016.01 微软亚洲研究院高级软件工程课程助教
- 2013.01 – 2013.07 科大格物物联创业团队成员
- 2012.05 – 2013.05 校学生 Linux 用户协会（Linux User Group）会长
- 2011.05 – 2012.05 创办少年班学院学生会技术部
- 2011.05 – 2012.01 校团委网络工作办公室技术部首任部长
- 2010.09 – 2011.05 参与创办校学生格物致知社，任副会长
Experience (for fun)
- 本科期间荒废学业，一共挂了三科。先是学数学专业，一年下来成绩不理想，转战计算机专业，由于热衷于社团活动和折腾服务器，成绩进一步下滑。大一加入新成立的格物致知社，大二创办少年班学院学生会技术部，大三担任校 Linux 用户协会会长。大四因找不到工作，只好在微软亚洲研究院开始为期六年的实习生涯。
Honors and Awards
- 2016.07 MSRA Student Techfest 最佳展示奖
- 2013.08 “微软小学者”奖
- 2013.05 校优秀学生干部
- 2013.02 参加美国数学建模竞赛(MCM), Successful Participant
- 2012.01 “网站开发讨论班”优秀讲师
- 2011.10 校 Robogame 机器人大赛，团队获服务机器人组最佳创意奖
- 2009.10 在全国高中数学联赛中获得省一等奖 (河北省前 10 名)
- 2009.07 在全国高中信息学竞赛 NOI2009 中获得铜牌(全国第 69 名)
- 2008.11 在全国高中信息学联赛 NOIP2008 中获得省一等奖 (河北省第 2 名)